Skip to main content

This page is not for reporting emergency situations. 

If you or the person you are reporting on is in immediate danger of harming themselves or others, please call 911 immediately!

Incidents, Concerns, & Complaints Reporting

Resolving conflict is part of the college experience, but there may come a point when external assistance is needed to solve a more difficult or sensitive situation.

The purpose of this page is to help students, faculty, staff, and community members locate NMSU resources and guidance to resolve concerns, complaints, or incidents that may occur. There are multiple forms and resources where individuals can report. However, please only submit your report through the most reasonable form. Someone from that area will respond.

Please note: Submitting multiple reports and/or emails could cause a delay. 

NMSU is a Caring Community

New Mexico State University (NMSU) is a comprehensive research, land-grant university excelling in teaching, research and public service that fuels the economy and prepares students to be productive citizens. NMSU is truly a reflection of the region’s vibrant communities – an exciting place to tackle challenges, find answers to important issues and prepare for the future.




If you are not sure where to file your report or what to do, find a flow on what to do here. 

Campus Community Incident Report

(Students, Faculty, Guests, or Staff)

CCI reports should be submitted for situations such as:

  • Bullying
  • Classroom Disruptions
  • Concerning Behavior
  • Harm to Person or Self (non-imminent)
  • Hazing 
  • Missing Students
  • Need Resources
  • Welfare Check

This form can be submitted anonymously, however no response will be provided. 

File a Report

Non-Academic Complaint

(Students, Faculty, or Staff)

Student concerns or complaints should be submitted for situations such as:

  • Accounts Receivable
  • Housing
  • Facilities
  • Financial Aid
  • Parking 
  • Student Records

File a Concern or Complaint

Title IX

(Students, Faculty, or Staff)

Incidents should be submitted for situations such as:

  • Discrimination
  • Sexual Misconduct (Including Sexual Violence)
  • Sex Discrimination
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Retaliation

File Report

Student Extended Absence

(Students, Parents, or Guardians)

Excused absences should be submitted for situations such as:

  • Accident
  • Death
  • Hospitalization
  • Medical Procedures
  • Mental Health

File Report

Don't know where to report?

View the searchable table for more information on where to report. If you still do not know, please email

Don't know where to report?

Academic Complaint


If you have a complaint or concern involving a particular course or instructor, such as classroom management or class structure, follow the steps below or view the decision tree.

  1. Students should discuss and try to resolve the issue with the instructor/faculty member. 
  2. If the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, or if you do not feel comfortable approaching the instructor directly, contact the department head. 
  3. If the issue is still not resolved, or if the instructor/faculty member the concern or complaint is with, contact the associate dean for the respective college. 
  4. The final step if the issue is still not resolved is the college's dean. 

To launch a formal grade grievance, NMSU Policy must be followed. See Grade Appeal for more information. 

(Deans & Department Heads)

Academic Deans and Department Heads should submit student academic complaints or grade appeals using the Student Concerns portal. After the concern has been logged in the portal, Deans or Department Heads can assign the concern to a specific faculty member, or track the progress of the concern using the notes feature. Keeping track of these are crucial to maintaining a safe environment for students and for accreditation purposes. 

Learn More

Academic Misconduct

(Students, Faculty, or Staff)

ARP 5.10 outlines Academic Integrity students are expected to follow. Academic dishonesty may take on a variety of forms, included by not limited to those listed below: 

  • Cheating 
  • Assisting to Cheat
  • Misrepresentation
  • Plagiarism
  • Unauthorized Access to or Alteration of Academic Records
  • Unauthorized Possession of Academic Material

Students have the option to report anonymously, however a response will not be provided. 

There is a separate form depending on your role. Please select from the appropriate forms below. 

Grade Appeal


Students should refer to ARP 5.13 (Undergraduate Student Academic Grievances) or ARP 5.14 (Graduate Student Academic Grievances) to handle any issues regarding grades. Below is a brief outline on how to initiate a formal grade grievance: 

  1. Students should submit a written appeal to the faculty member within 30 days of the start of the grading period following the grading period in which the alleged grievance occurred. 
  2. If a satisfactory decision cannot be met, the student can appeal to the Department Head or appropriate unit designee within 10 working days of the written decision by the faculty member. 
  3. If a satisfactory decision is still not met, the student and/or faculty member can appeal to the associate dean for academics within 10 working days of the receipt of the written decision of the department head. 
  4. If a dean decides to review the appeal upon a written request of the student or faculty member, their decision is final and cannot be repealed. If the dean chooses not to review the appeal, the final decision is the one rendered by the associate dean. (The Graduate School Dean will oversee appeals for graduate students.)

Please refer to the appropriate ARP for more details on launching a formal grade grievance. 

Grade Appeal Decision Trees provide a visual flow of the appeal process. Select the appropriate one below: 
Undergraduate Graduate



Other Resources

For any emergency situation where you or someone else needs help, call 9-1-1 immediately. The emergency services dispatcher will send the appropriate assistance.
The Concern Assessment and Response (CARE) Team identify and respond to students, faculty or staff who may harm themselves or others or who may simply be struggling and in need of assistance and resources.

Learn more

Your safety is important to the university. The following departments & offices have been established to assist you: 

Environmental Health and Safety
Handles inspection of chemical and biological laboratories, concerns about general safety at NMSU, and investigations into worker injuries.
Nonemergency number:  646-3327

Fire and Emergency Services Department
Handles responses to fire, emergency medical, and hazardous materials incidents.
Nonemergency number:  646-2519

Police Department
Handles crime prevention, routine police patrols, investigations, and emergency response for criminal incidents, traffic crashes, weather emergencies, and emergency notifications.
Nonemergency number:  646-3311

Aggie Health & Wellness Center
Handles walk-in and appointments for a broad category of medical needs, to include immunizations, doctor's visits, X-ray, laboratory, and pharmacy services. Counseling services are available Mon-Fri. 
Nonemergency number:  646-1512

If you have a general concern related to a facility, such as a stair tread that is loose, a tree limb that is hanging down, or lighting that is out, please call the Facilities and Services Work Order Desk at 646-7114.

If you have concerns about administrative staff (as either a student or student employee) and you do not know who to contact, please reach out to: 

Employee and Labor Relations
Hadley Hall, Room 14
Phone: 575-646-2449

NMSU is dedicated to providing equal opportunities in areas of employment and academics without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, serious medical condition, sex, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or protected veteran status as outlined in federal and state anti-discrimination statutes. As a federal contractor, NMSU’s affirmative action program also supports this effort. In accordance with NMSU Policy 3.25 Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct on Campus, the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) is designated as the office that receives and processes internal discrimination complaints within the NMSU system.

To file a discrimination compliant, complete the Internal Discrimination Complaint Form on the OIE Web site or contact OIE by phone or Email.

In addition, you may also contact the Office of Institutional equity to file a compliant regarding violations of Title IX, sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and other violations of NMSU Policy 3.25. Note that administrative investigations filed with OIE are different from criminal investigations conducted by the police.

Office of Institutional Equity
Office: 575-646-3635
Fax: 575-646-2182
TTY : 575-646-7802
Visit the Office of Institutional Equity Web Site

Allegations of wrongdoing of any kind, including illegal or unethical conduct, violations of Title IX or violations of university policy, can be reported through the confidential reporting line at or 1-866-384-4277.
The Faculty Grievance Review Board consists of 13 faculty members and ffacilitates the hearing of formal grievances filed by Faculty. (ARP 10.60
Information on how to submit a grievance can be found in Part 7 of ARP 10.60.
Visit the site at